What Makes a Legit Gambling Site?
One of the questions that we get asked here a lot is what actually makes a legit gambling website. So, we figured that we would put together a quick guide and show you everything that you need to know.
UK Gambling Commission
We are going to assume that you are based in the United Kingdom. If not, just substitute for the UK Gambling Commission for whoever runs gambling in your country.
In theory, absolutely every company that operates gambling services in the United Kingdom needs to operate under the UK Gambling Commission. If they are not a member, they are technically offering their services illegally.
While it still may be safe to gamble on them, we would not recommend it as they are not a legit gambling site in this country. Being a member of the UK Gambling Commission comes with a whole host of benefits for the player.
- The idea behind the commission is to keep a watchful eye over how a company is offering their services. They try to ensure that the following happens:
- All of the games that they offer are 100% random. This means that there should be no tinkering with the code to swing the house edge further than the game already has. There are some sites out there which actually ‘pirate’ the games that they offer on their website. This means that it is nigh on impossible to win on them because the code has been changed. This is never going to be an issue if you are on a website which has been rated by the UK Gambling Commission.
- If you do run into any issues, then there will be a way in which you can get the UK Gambling Commission to arbitrate your case to ensure that it is resolved in an amicable manner and within he law. Basically, if you have a complaint about a website, then somebody is going to be there to help you out.
- The site does not have any unfair terms and conditions which could make gambling there difficult for the ‘average’ person i.e. the site should not have a minimum withdrawal of hundreds of pounds or something like that.
- There should be processes in place which will allow a gambler to opt out of gambling if they think they have a problem. In fact, this is probably one of the main reasons why the UK Gambling Commission is so important. It has helped out many people in a bit of a bind over the years.
The UK Gambling Commission is there for the player, basically. You are probably not always going to agree with all of the decisions that they make, but I promise you that they are there to ensure that the gambling experience is the best possible.
Withdrawals and Deposits
If you are a member of the UK Gambling Commission, then you have a responsibility to ensure that money through your site is not used for money laundering. This is why withdrawals on a website are not always going to be instant.
In fact, they never are. The transaction does need to be checked. A legit gambling website will aim to make this process as simple to get through as possible.
As mentioned previously; there should not be any major issues with withdrawing your cash either. There should be a reasonable minimum withdrawal limit. Maybe £10 to £20. Any higher than that and you will start to run into issues.
Finally; customer support needs to be fantastic. A legit gambling site will have customer support in place for when you need them the most e.g. if you have an issue with the site. They should always be your first port of call if there are problems. They also have a legal duty to inform you of any actions you can take via the UK Gambling Commission if you do have problems.
Looking for a Legit Gambling Website?
If you are looking for a legit gambling site and really do not fancy putting in a lot of work, then we have put together a quick guide to some of the best casino sites around. All you need to do is check out our list.
We have put in the effort so you do not need to. We can vouch for all of these sites, so you can feel confident that if you gamble through them, your money is in the safest possible hands.
18+. New players only. 1 bonus offer per player. Min. deposit £20. Max bonus bet £5. Bonus spins on selected games only- must be used within 72 hours. Bonus funds expire in 30 days, unused bonus shall be removed. Bonus funds are 100% match up to £500 + 50 bonus spins on 1st deposit, 25% match up to £800 + 25 bonus spins on 2nd deposit, and 50% match up to £500 + 30 bonus spins on 3rd deposit. Bonus funds are separate to Cash funds, and are subject to 40x wagering the total bonus, cash & bonus spins. Terms apply
18+ Full T&C's Apply New players Only. £10 min deposit. £5 max bet using bonus. 40 x wagering applies. Bonus valid for 14 days. 30 Spins on preselected games will be credited instantly + then 30 per day for 9 days. Free Spins valid for 72 hours from credit. Max Free Spins winnings £100. Skrill + Neteller excluded. Always refer to Bonus Terms - www.begambleaware.org 18+. T&C's | BeGambleAware®
18+ Full T&C's Apply. New players Only. £10 min deposit. £5 max bet using bonus. 40 x wagering applies. Bonus valid for 14 days. 15 Spins on Gonzo's Quest game will be credited instantly + then 15 per day for 9 days. Free Spins valid for 72 hours from credit. Max Free Spins winnings £100. Skrill + Neteller excluded. Always refer to Bonus Terms - www.begambleaware.org
Terms: 18+, New customers only, min deposit £10, wagering 45x, max bet £5 with bonus funds. 100% up to £100 bonus on 1st deposit + 50% up to £200 on second deposit. Welcome bonus excluded for players depositing with Skrill or Neteller. Begambleaware.org